5 ways to prevent falls
Did you know that falls are the most common cause of injury in older adults? But, falls can be prevented.
Here are some ways you can prevent falls and stay independent:
1. Talk to your doctor about your medications and any changes you feel in your strength or balance.
2. Exercise to improve strength and balance, such as doing yoga, Tai Chi or resistance training.
3. Ask for help carrying groceries and home/yard maintenance.
4. Keep your home safe. Keep floors clear of tripping hazards and install grab bars in stairwells and the bathroom.
5. Have your eyes checked at least once a year.
You may be at a higher risk for falls if you:
• Are overweight • Have impaired vision or hearing
• Drink alcohol • Have low levels of vitamin D
• Have arthritis (joint swelling) • Take medicines that make you drowsy
• Have dementia
Talk to your doctor about your risk for falls and ask if you need to take vitamin D supplements to improve your bone, muscle and nerve health.