5 ways to keep your eyes healthy
Good vision is important to your overall health. Seeing an eye doctor for routine eye exams can help find problems early and protect your vision, especially as you age.
To keep your eyes healthy:
1. See an eye doctor once a year – Your doctor will check for problems like glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration.
2. Eat a healthy diet – Choose lots of fruits and vegetables.
3. Maintain a healthy weight – Exercise and stay active.
4. Wear sunglasses – Look for sunglasses that block UV-A and UV-B radiation.
5. Give your eyes a break – If you spend a lot of time on a computer, rest your eyes every 20 minutes.
Routine eye exams are covered under your benefits at no cost to you. If you need help finding an eye doctor, call 1-844-444-4410 (TTY 711) or visit horizonNJhealth.com/findadoctor.
Are you diabetic? Keeping your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol under control will help protect your eyes. You should have a diabetic eye exam every year.